Sunday, October 23, 2011

Benvenuti and Welcome

Welcome to my new blog.  I have had the good fortune in my life to have lived in two countries, Italy and the United States, and to have been culturally  part of each. Although my travels have taken me far from my native city of Marsala, I remain deeply connected to it through my love of my homeland and family and of the richness of Sicilian life.   I arrived in the United States at a time when the "melting pot" theory of American integration was still an ideal to be achieved.  Happily, I confess to you that I did not meet that standard. My sense of self as native Italian woman, my love of the Italian language and of our Sicilian dialect, both of which I speak fluently, my love of the Sicilian culinary world and the many traditions that define it, and of the enchantment of everyday life in Sicily --these all are things I have kept sacred throughout my life, as all connect me to a world of great depth and beauty which I have had the good fortune to know intimately and which I hope to share with you.  In this blog, I would like to bring my Sicilian world to you; my memories growing up in a beautiful baroque city--a jewel on the sea, made famous by ancient Phoenician, Greek and Saracen people; my experience of life in Sicily today, and the delicious recipes and culinary traditions associated with my island and of course the amazing people of Sicily whose warmth, intelligence, creativity and love of life is unsurpassed anywhere in the world.  The picture above is of the salt works Saline Ettore Infersa in a neighborhood of Marsala known as Birgi, barely a kilometer or two from where I was born. The ancient salt trade continues to this day.  But more about that later...

My blog is dedicated to one of the most extraordinary people I have ever known, my husband, Michael Volkov, who shares my love of Sicily and of all things Italian and who deeply understands the beauty and spiritual nourishment that comes from the embrace of a loving people.  To whatever shore this life may take me, his love will always be my true home.

I am excited by the opportunity to bring the beauty of Sicily to my readers.  I hope you are able to share my joy and excitement. I look forward to hearing your thoughts and sharing your experiences as well as we embark on this journey.

Ciao a presto!

No comments:

Post a Comment